Thursday, June 15, 2017

Snowhite Version Of The Circus Peanut | Fly Tying Tutorial

This is my take on Russ Maddin's Circus Peanut. I picked up one of his flies in Michigan last summer. It had the body of my tampon fly with rubber legs and collars. There was no name on the bin so I asked Instagram what it was and was informed that its the peanut. I started to add synthetics to the fly and I am really pleased with the success.

We recently caught this largemouth in heavily stained water.


Here is the video on how to tie this fly.

Hooks. I like the Saber Brand hooks. You can't beat the price. They are super sharp and strong. Use a barbless hook for the trailer if you can. I use size 4 for rear and 2 for the front.
 New age hollow flash.

 Long saddle hackle. I base the colors of the collar and the body on the rubber legs used. A bi-colored leg will dictate the body color. This is a black saddle.
 I prefer crystal flash chenille for the body.
 

As the collar is black and the body is orange I am going with this pack of legs.
You can use 20-30lb mono to connect the body which costs a lot less. The thicker the mono or wire you use the less the rear portion of the fly will jackknife. I do not use 6mm walleye beads over the mono/wire.
 Use your favorite eyes. I prefer medium to large. I want this fly to have a vertical jigging action but don't want it to be super heavy. I need my clients off all abilities to throw this fly. It can't be to heavy.

 Size 4 hook goes into my Regal vise. 
 Wrap my thread. Uni 210 denier black.
 New age flash tied in as the tail. Don't be shy if its long. You can always trim it back.
 Crystal flash chenille tied in and wrapped up to and just behind the eye.
 Wrap it down and tie it off.  Cut.
 Tie in two rubber legs in the middle.

 Repeat on the opposite side. Don't leave these flies in the sunlight. The sun will degrade the legs.
 Tie in the saddle hackle between the legs and the eye. Wrap forward, wrap it down, cut thread. Doesn't have to look pretty. Its a fly that is going to be moving through water at a fast pace. It does not have to be all proportional and aesthetically pleasing to you. YOU ARE NOT A FISH. I may switch to a synthetic hackle in the future to make it all synthetic.
 Remove the rear portion and insert the size 2 hook into the vise.
 Start your thread where ever you want.
 Tie in the dumbbell eyes.
 Take your joining material. I'm using Beadalon from the craft store up the street. My mono is in the TPFR tying kit which I don't have today.
 Thread the rear fly and begin to wrap the wire down. Your wraps and the tension you use will determine if a fish pulls the rear hook free if it is only hooked on that.
 Get it all wrapped and move your thread to above the hook point.
 Tie in your crystal flash chenille.
 Wrap forward toward the eyes, wrap over and around them to build a head. You need a solid head if you plan on bouncing this fly around hard structure. 
 Pull chenille over the eyes and wrap it tightly and cut it off, behind the eyes.
 Tie in 2-3 strands of legs facing you.
 Repeat on the opposite side.
 Tie in your saddle. I prefer a longer and more fibrous feather for the front of the fly. I'm not using rooster tails yet. I save those for my bacon fly.
 Wrap it around several times, doesn't have to look pretty. Tie it down and remove the rest of the feather. 
 Cut a long portion of holo flash. Lay it over the dumbell eyes and tie it off behind the eyes.
 Fold the remaining half over the front of the eyes, over and through the eye hook.
 Wrap that thread tightly down over it all and you are almost done.
 I use a half hitch with my hands. I've only had 2-3 flies come undone in the past year (out of dozens of dozens of flies) due to a bad knot. Both were on intruders. I don't use a knot tying tool.
 Bring that loop over and down, repeat 2-3 times. Cut thread.
Time to build up that head. Think of it as a helmet. I'm trying the Solarez now. I started off the Goo, then the Loon, then the Deer Creek. Hoping this is the last one I need to try.
 Apply mostly on the ventral side that will hit structure.
 Light it up for a bit. Then hit it again. Slow cook the material.
 Let it chill for a few seconds under the light and leave on the windowsill for an hour. You are now done.

 Boom!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
weebly reliable statistics