Wednesday, June 17, 2015

That Non-Fly Fishing Trip To Orlando

A little family vacation took place a few weeks back in Orlando. The plan was one day at Disney with the rest of the time at a hotel for the weekend. The hotel had a massive pond (or a small lake?) My plan was to fish on down time. Here is what happened.I was told to watch out for posted water as a lot of it doesn't allow fishing. Sure enough:


National Airport might just be the best airport around. You get to your gate very fast.

 Follow that sign next week to ICAST/IFTD
 We were hungry and this place was across from the hotel.
 And it was awesome. Steak burgers?! With shoestring fries with fry sauce.
 We got to the hotel at noon and the room wasn't ready for 3 hours so we chilled at the pool.
 I walked over to the pond. There was a bridge across the middle. This soft shell turtle came up to breathe.
 I geeked out over the epiphytes.
 Back in the room I prepared my leader. I had to put a loop on the end of my new line and used my new P Line pliers.
 My fly selection. Same as the Tidal Potomac. Frogs, reapers, Clousers, Snallygasters.
 View from the room. And there is no fishing in the waters here!
 Headed to Whole Foods and a storm rolls in.
 What is this? Fresh Porcini Mushrooms? OMG. We bought a bunch and some butter. And we cooked them and ate them and it was fantastic. Just remember, Morels are NOT mushrooms.
 Parents car  has XM so I played the Grateful Dead station.
 Sunset after the storm.
 Headed to Disney. You can take a guided trip on these lakes.
 I got to meet Princess Anna of Arendelle.
 And this book about me.
 A small world, haven't been in there in 29 years.

 This is the first place I had chicken fingers. Summer of 1986.
 Inside the Little Mermaid. Didn't get to meet Ariel.


 Though I did meet Snow White (she spells it wrong.)
 Ibis in the park.
 Back at the hotel. Kirsi and I walk across the bridge and since there is no fishing of course we see some HUGE grass carp. These were the size of the tarpons at Robbies.
 Some of them had broken backs at one point and were shaped like a S



 Off to fish. I have my Orvis Bass Rod . Small enough to take in an elevator in one or two parts.
 This lady gave me a ride in a golf cart to the exit. Plan was to fish across the street in a drainage pond.
 What is this car?
 I get to the pond and string up my rod. I'm quickly greeted by OTTERS.

 Next pond had nothing to cast at. I did spook something. Note the mud.
 Another pond. Lots of grass and structure. No fish.
 Outside Walmart. Look at that water. And of course its NO TRESPASSING.
 I find this spot that is not posted then I get a call to pick my dad up at a meeting at another hotel. It makes sense in Podcast.
 I use Google Maps to find this park. Of course....
 Look at that water!
 So I find another pond. This one is fishable.
 Yet no fish.
 Another pond. Is this goose dead?

 Nothing on frogs and reapers. I get a small bite on a frog leg. I put on this hopper.
 NO love. I head to this spot adjacent.

 Look at that water!
 Nothing in the pond above. So I return to the spot I got a bite.
 I didn't get skunked on this trip. I had hoped for some monster bucket mouth bass on a gutless frog.
 These flowers were really awesome.
 And flying home over my home waters. That is the Tidal Basin and the false Potomac shore. The river was moved back in the day.
 And finished the night off with an Avalanche Burger at Beer Tie.

4 comments:

What a great fishing trip you have made. I would love to do something like that with my family. They will also love to go to Disneyland as well. What was the hotel that you stayed at? I tried searching for it on reservationcounter.com but with no luck at all. Can you give a link or something? Thanks.

Great article glad to see you guys had a good time. I know fly fishing can be very difficult especially in my field having to deal with other clients and only having limited time to teach them.

http://www.fishinginorlando.com/

If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you got to watch this video
right away...

(VIDEO) Get your ex CRAWLING back to you...?

Just read your article. Good one. I liked it. Keep going. you are a best writer your site is very useful and informative thanks for Sharing. best spinning reel.

Post a Comment

 
weebly reliable statistics