Friday, March 13, 2015

Custom Shad Flies

Its that time of year again and I am happily getting loads of e-mails and phone calls for custom shad flies. While there are loads of patterns out there, I just want to share with you what I throw, and what my clients throw. These are patterns with nearly 20 years of design behind them and I make my living off of tying these flies and putting people on fish with these flies, so yea, trust me when I say these flies work.

Don't throw more than two flies at once but always throw a tandem rig. My suggestion is to toss a 1/32 shad jig with 20" of 8lb Berkley Vanish to a dropper fly. Dropper choices are damsel first, puff second, buster third, Clouser fourth. Tutorials should be on Youtube.

Here are the flies I have my clients throw. They are $2 each:

Shad jig

The Shad Puff. Three colors that vary by my mood and what has been working.

1" Calf Tail Clouser. This is more for the other species that are mixed in. Shad will tear it up too.
 Shad Buster. The color stands out.
 Snowhite Damsel. If you are not throwing this fly for every species of fish your pursue than there is something wrong with you.

If you want to know the theory and design behind these flies you will need to listen to my shad podcast, on Itunes.

1 comments:

Are you looking for free Facebook Likes?
Did you know you can get them AUTOMATICALLY AND TOTALLY FREE by getting an account on Like 4 Like?

Post a Comment

 
weebly reliable statistics