Friday, May 30, 2014

Fantastic Day Fly Fishing Four Mile Run

David's fiance bought him a gift certificate back in December. He contacted me a week or so ago to set up his half day guided trip for local fishing. I of course decided on Four Mile Run (4MR). We met at about high tide and suited up in the parking lot.

The sky was overcast and we had a bit of rain yesterday. Thus the water was rather dark and hard to see. Didn't matter.

David had a Sage rod with an Allen reel and both got a solid workout. We worked on casting and fly retrieval as we worked the flooded shoreline with submerged plants. In four short hours David went from a novice caster to one that can hold his own. His distance trippled and he learned to use a single handed rod for two handed roll casts.

Here is what he got into (in suburban northern Virginia mind you): Striped bass, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, needlefish (yuck), bluegill, white perch.

Catching a striper up in the 4MR system is always a treat. Having it as his first landed fish of the day made it even more special. It was his first striper. David then hooked into something large. It threw the hook. Fishing in the DC Metro tidal Potomac is like a box of chocolates....

 The channel cat put up a fight. It was fought on the reel.
This pic is out of order. After we fished the outflow we worked the banks. This smallie shot up from the bottom to take a 4x long size 2 Fly Shack Saber hook. We also landed several bluegill throughout the system.
 We got into white perch down and under the RTE 1 bridge. Slab!
 This needlefish took the 1/32 shad jig. Filthy and nasty creatures.
 And another channel cat. They are really pretty up clsoe with all of their speckles.
 I ran to get my phone out of my waders. Note the gapers along the fence. This was a very long fight and it attracted every passerby.
 A second striper at the outflow.

What a spectacular day. Overcast and cool turned into bright and bluebird. Light wind. It was a great day to introduce somoene to a new spot that was only 10 minutes from his front door.

Now on to prepare for tomorrow's Potomac Snakehead Tournament.

10 comments:

Rob, What weight rod are you primarily fishing on a day like this? I Usually take a 9ft 5wt WFF but been using larger flies lately (top water poppers/slidders bigger ugly bass bugs) so I think I am gonna start taking an 8wt instead been struggling with casting largers flies with the 5. Dose an 9'6" 8 WFF sound like over kill? Just looking for some advice. thanks.

Had a great time Rob! I didn't make it out again on Saturday, but will definitely go back to 4MR for some more of that action. As a newbie, you definitely taught me a lot. Thank you.

9' 5wt is fairly standard for me around here. I'll take an 8wt just in case -especially if its windy or I feel like throwing bigger flies. Bigger fish tend to eat when you have a smaller rod. Small fish when you have a bigger rod.

Sounds about right, my only issue is I go out a lot in a kayak and usually decide what rod I am taking out before leaving shore and I tend do be a minimalist on the water and try to not carry too much more then essentials. I have learned that I can be an A.D.D. fly fisherman and if I have 30 different patterns and something is not working i will prematurely change flies, change presentation, change locations earlier then one should. Patience is sometimes a quality that evades me. I have found with my 5wt I have had trouble turning over medium to larger flies with a decent length leader. Any advice for a novice?????

Sean Swenson

Sean,

I prefer to tie my own leaders with a 30lb butt section. In addition I overline my rods, preferably with a bass line or Rio Outbound Short. The Rio line will throw just about any fly in any condition. Go with the heavier weight rod with more dense line to get the flies out.

Any advice on a pattern for 4mr?? I'm a begginer fly fisher and I went to 4mr today without any luck. What do they like to eat this time a year??

Did you think about trading with the ultimate Bitcoin exchange service - YoBit.

YoBit lets you to claim FREE COINS from over 100 unique crypto-currencies, you complete a captcha one time and claim as many as coins you want from the available offers.

After you make about 20-30 claims, you complete the captcha and keep claiming.

You can click on CLAIM as much as 50 times per one captcha.

The coins will stored in your account, and you can convert them to Bitcoins or any other currency you want.

If you are looking to BUY bitcoins online, Paxful is the #1 source for bitcoins as it allows buying bitcoins by 100's of different payment methods, such as MoneyGram, Western Union, PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, American Express and they even allow converting your gift cards for bitcoins.

Are you frustrated from looking for bitcoin faucets?
Double your claiming speed with this amazing BTC FAUCET ROTATOR.

Post a Comment

 
weebly reliable statistics