Friday, March 28, 2014

I Need Iron Man's Jarvis To Help Design Flies

Last week I was flipping through Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's catalogs while preparing my largemouth bass podcast. I kept staring at the
swimming frogs and pad crashers. I've been trying to come up with frog pattern like those for several years.

I'm going out on a limb with this blog entry so just go with it, let me rant.


 It wasn't until I came across the bare hooks that I started thinking about creating a frog fly on this hook. After a long day of thinking I went to bed after splitting a bottle of wine with the wife. The mind started to wander.

I started to think about how I could use foam on the double hook, make it weedless, float with the hook up, and have kicking legs.

I jumped out of bed and took one of the pixie's markers and the summer condo pool schedule (the only paper around) and started to outline a fly design. I wanted to take out the vise and start tying but it was in the pixie's room and I didn't want to disturb her.
 


As I'm doing the doodling, going back to bed, jumping up again (I did this about 5-6 times) I was thinking about Iron Man and his Jarvis computer butler guy. How great would it be to have a giant digital image floating in front of you as you design your fly?

The fly was coming together on the blue prints. I had pipe insulation for a body and black pipe cleaners for the legs (very easy to bend to a leg shape with a twisted round foot. I went back to bed and then jumped up and decided that the foam body had to have a notch on the top and bottom for me to tie it to the hook. If I had Jarvis I could be doing all of this in real time and not on paper.

As I went back to bed I jumped up thinking that the pipe cleaners would rust and probably get bent when stripped through and over weeds. What would be a good substitute?






I came up with Rainy's tube foam. If I tied a knot in at the knee I would get a nice articulation and kicking action.

I haven't tied with this material in about a decade. I used it for a cricket pattern when I fished in Colorado (which hopefully will be home soon).

I'm pleased with how the material tied into the pattern. 




I dropped the pixie off at school and drove straight home and went straight to the tying closet. I grabbed a huge 5/0 hook, Rainy's foam, and the pipe insulation. I proceeded to cut the foam to shape and sliding it onto the hook. I made sure the foam was curved up so it would slide across lilly pads. From there I knotted the leg material and tied that in. I noticed the pipe foam scraps and tied those in as feet. The fly is ugly, beyond ugly. There are no clean edges to it. Its still just a prototype. I threw it up in the air several times and each time it landed on the belly of the frog.

Iron Man has it a bit easier, he just moves his hands, adds things, tweaks a bit, drags and drops something into the computer garbage.


In lieu of a Jarvis,  here is my blue print with the prototype. I won't be able to fish this until the boat arrives so stay tuned. I'll pick up some more materials and get working on improving the fly aka 'Snowhite's Frog Prince' (lame?) until the real test, the Potomac Snakehead Tournament.

1 comments:

Rob you just gave me a great idea for frog pattern that would ride hook up out of some white closed cell craft foam i got laying around the bench. The white foam is fun I can color it up anyway with some Sharpie markers and i'll glue on some craft store google eyes and should me a fun ultra light frog pattern. Shouldmt be more then a few pennies cost when done. Of coarse I am stuck at my desk at work so i too scribbled on a legal pad....I hope it makes sense to me when I get home. Thanks bro!

Post a Comment

 
weebly reliable statistics