Monday, September 2, 2013

Summer's Over | Winter's Coming | Annual Periodicity


Labor Day is here. Summer is Over (I included a video of Sara Bareilles so we don't have to play that song from Grease). I'm pretty stoked to have gotten a tix for her upcoming show (and to see Travis live which I missed out on 10 years ago)


Summer 2013 was a mild one for us here in DC. Zero days of 100+ heat. Maybe two days of 95 plus days. We had a very rainy June and a mostly dry summer after that.

I didn't have the busiest guiding season but it has been good. I've never been booked on Labor Day and today is my 4th day in a row guiding. No complaints there.

As the seasons start to change autumn will be upon us. I'm already gearing up for the steelhead run in Pulaski and helping others outfit their trips. The stripers in the Potomac are getting bigger with a 16" lost at the hand while trying to land yesterday.

Cooler water temps will trigger fish to put on weight for winter. The river is full of shad fry so get your 3" baitfish patterns ready to swing on the changing tide.

As temps cool off fish will seek areas of warmer water. The warm water discharges around the city will have a greater number of anglers. And as the sunlight fades as the Earth rotates, the submerged aquatic vegetation will die back and the water will gain clarity.

I'm looking forward to the humidity going away. No more clothing sticking to me and funky waders. The first frost will kill the smells off in my car. My cowboy hat will go into hiding and my fleece skull caps will come out. And with skull caps for night fishing at Gravelly, so too will fingertipless gloves make an appearance.

My little free time at the computer will be spent checking the SalmonCrazy forum.

Lawnmower Beer will be replaced with seasonal ales and that reminds me to get tix for the Snallygaster Beer Festival coming up at Union Market. Seasonal ales go hand in hand with my addiction to wool sweaters. My sweater problem is like Amelda Markos (sp?) shoe thing.

I'll be looking forward to daylight savings so we can get an extra hour of swinging streamers for stripers at twilight.

Today is the last chance for a summer snakehead outing. We'll work hard for one. Only a few more weeks before those elusive fish go somewhere were still unaware. So its time for me to start hydrating as I'll be rowing for four hours in today heat and humidity. I'm going to go to the pool for the last time today as they close it. I nominated today as 'wear your Speedo and piss in the pool' day yesterday. We'll see who abides.

And once fall is done, don't forget, Winter's Coming


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
weebly reliable statistics