Friday, June 28, 2013

Preparing For 2013 Potomac Snakehead Tournament

Tomorrow is the big day. The 2013 Potomac Snakehead Tournament.

There has not been a whole lot of gear preparation. I just have to make sure I have all of my cameras ready, a stove to cook on at night in the boat, finger stripping guards, and my digital fish scale/lip gripper. I've gone through my rods. I've chosen a few 9' 8wt rods, one 10' 8wt, and my 9' 10wt that Tom put a second cork grip on.

The plan is to fish in the weeds at high tide and in the channels at low tide. The tourney starts in the afternoon on Saturday and ends the afternoon on Sunday. I'm not sure how late I'll fish on Saturday night.

The team is made up of 6 of us from the Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, chosen from "board members" to those who know how to row a boat (so I can get a chance to fish). Most think they can row a drift boat until they get in the seat and its not what they expected.

The biggest preparation has been in the fly department. I've been tying up several of my curly tail flies, some Clouser minnows, and some gar flies. If I see gar, I'm casting to them!

The other fly pattern I just started tying is the Pat Ehlers' Grip Reaper. I've been looking at this thing in his catalog for years. I finally sat down to tie it the other night. I can't tell  you in words how cool this thing looks in person.

The key to these flies is WEED GUARDS. 

 Lot of mice. They are super easy and cheap to tie. They splat heavy and have great motion.

You can find the tutorial to them on my Youtube page. 


Next up are the Clouser minnows. I've been playing around with the colors. I got about 20 packs of super hair for $1 each at the Fly Fishing Show last winter and have loads of varieties to choose from.
 Here are the gar flies. They boated 2 gar last weekend. It was a bite on about every 5th cast. Such fun.
 And here is the Grim Reaper. Dude, you have no idea how cool it looks in person.
 This one has some MFC rubber legs included.

 And since a picture of a snakehead with a baby goose in its stomach surfaced this week, why not a duck fly?
 A couple of curly tails.
 This is the boat. We'll rotate who fishes and when. My biggest concern is dehydration. I have a bunch of plastic pints from the salad bar full of water and in the freezer to keep the cooler cold. I'll have Gatorade too.
 Chartreuse curly tail.
And be sure to stop in at the weigh in. Its less than 30 minutes from DC. There will be live music, FREE BEER and FREE snakehead and oyster tasting. Be sure to pick up some swag from the merch table.

I'll be recording a podcast to get up to y'all soon. Hope to see you at the kick off tomorrow or the weigh in on Sunday.

1 comments:

I have just downloaded iStripper, and now I can watch the best virtual strippers on my desktop.

Post a Comment

 
weebly reliable statistics