Friday, May 17, 2013

Friggin Huge Bass | Roaches Run Waterfowl Sanctuary

Maybe it was a sign of good things when I spotted a common loon swimming in the shallows of Roaches Run this morning.

Kirsi and I met Mike and his dad at the lot at 0900. Mike is graduating from college this weekend (good luck on being a grown up when you wake up on Monday, no more spring or summer vacation.) and hid dad is in town for the celebration.

I had three rods strung up:

  • 9' 5wt with full sink line. A shad jig and damsel nymph
  • 9' 8wt with floating line. A curly tail bass fly on there
  • 11' 6wt switch rod with 350 grain floating line. A Popsicle and damsel nymph were on there.
We fished the delayed outgoing tide near the tunnel at the George Washington Memorial Parkway. Mikes dad didn't take long to get into the first fish. A nice schoolie striper.

Nothing huge but any striper is a gift. This one of course took the damsel.

It was a pleasure watching Mike's dad cast that two-hander and it was his first ever striper on the fly.

Next up he hooked into a slab crappie and the crappie progressively got bigger. 

Mike then hooks into his first ever largemouth on the fly. It was a nice specimen and a great catch any day. The bass took the shad jig.

Give Mike a few more minutes and Mike hooks into a herring and a long ear sunfish. That is a total of six species in one day.

One of the next casts was magical. We watched a small river herring take the damsel nymph and take off.

All of a sudden the rod bends double.  The kind of bend of a 5wt that a herring shouldn't do.

Here is a pic of the bent rod.

This was not the most bent the rod would yield. At one point I thought it would explode on him.

I quickly switched the phone to video to capture the moment. More reason to keep the GoPro with me at all times.

Here is the bass. The strange thing is that the fish ate the herring off the line and the damsel nymph was stuck in the bass' jaw.

The fish had a huge belly, presumably stuffed with herring. Its eyes were massive and bulging out at us.

And the crappie kept on coming. They took the damsel and Popsicle left and right.

 This may have been the largest and prettiest black crappie I have ever seen. There were all sorts of blue  hues mixed in with the black.

The tide then changed and the fishing shut down. I did see one of the largest fish I've ever seen in the Potomac hanging out in the fast water. I could not identify it but it was a ham with fins. 

The gar were in mating pairs. Not as many as typical for this time of year.


Post a Comment

weebly reliable statistics