Thursday, February 7, 2013

Gear Review | Tenacious Tape

I'm a big fan of my Patagonia Ultralight Down hoody. I'll do a blog post about the jacket some other day. There is one problem with the jacket, the outer membrane. This stuff is tissue paper thin. It tears with minimal effort.

I've had clients put a barbless hook through the jacket on several occasions. Each time there is a hole that needs to be patched. On previous occasions I've used hospital tape. That stuff is great. I've also used duct tape.

For such an expensive jacket you'd think it would hold up to a size 10 hook but it doesn't.

The other day I was splitting firewood and between splitting and moving the wood I got a huge gash in the jacket. The gash was the size of a sugar packet from your restaurant sundries.







I tried using Gorilla tape but it didn't stick to the jacket. I was going to use the hospital tape but my daughter put it in a bowl of ketchup.

I decided to call the local Patagonia store in DC. I was hoping they could repair the jacket (repair, not replace) and they told me about a  product sold at REI called Tenacious Tape.

The toddler and I drove over to the local REI store and picked up a roll. It comes in several colors and is sold in a plastic tube.  All you have to do is unroll the tape, cut to size, and stretch over the hole.

It went on with super sticky style. There are no loose edges. No loose corners. Its super sticky and it covers the hole. No more down feathers pouring out. No reason to send the jacket back for repairs.

I know this won't be the last time I get a hole in the jacket. I'm going to keep the roll of tape handy. Too bad the the shell of the jacket isn't made of this material.

Do yourself a favor and go pick up one of these rolls to use for when you get a hole in your gear. You'll thank me later.


 As for the duct tape, keep that for shenanigans.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
weebly reliable statistics