Monday, August 20, 2012

Recent Pics & New Flies



The past week found us fishing Four Mile Run. The tides were favourable for working the edges and the cool water discharge. The key to the past week has been sight casting. Then we got a rainstorm yesterday and the water was all nasty brown.

The week started off with a double hook up of white perch. One took a hopper, the other a dropper.





Then we moved upstream and sight cast to largies, carp, and channel cats. The only thing biting was bluegill. 


Later in the week it was the same thing. Sight casting to big fish that would not take the fly. I had to go back to the drawing board and figure out some flies these fish would take. It was a tip from a recent client, some on-line purchases from Parker Flies and a trip to the craft store. Here is one of the bigger bluegill from Friday. 


 By the end of the week the weather had turned. We fished Four Mile again yesterday after the rain. Sure enough, the new flies worked. I fished Jocelyn's fathers super old Fenwick fibreglass rod while she used my Orvis Helios. I  hooked into this nice bass in the 3lb range on the worm.
Of course the batteries on my new grip were dead.
We then had a double hook up. Both on long ear sunfish.
 Yesterday's weather confirmed my need for a pair of vented Costa Del Mar sunglasses with yellow lenses.

I then hooked into a nice channel cat. This fish fought and the glass rod was bent double. It was hard to fight both big fish as the rod was set with a right hand retrieve, I normally crank with the left.



Looking forward to going back this week and fishing a clear tide and sight fishing for the larger fish with these flies. They deserve their own post and I'll work on that soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
weebly reliable statistics