Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Project Healing Waters 2 Fly Tournament 2012 Part 1

I am honored to have been asked to be a guide during this weekend's Project Healing Waters Two Fly Tournament. If you do not know what a 2-fly tourney is, you basically get 2 flies to fish with all day and if you loose them, you are done. The guide/veteran who catch the most fish (measured by size) win. To read more about this specific tournament, click this link. I will be paired with a [combat wounded] veteran and we will fish a specific section of water on Sunday.

The tournament is at the Rose River Farm. I've never fished this water and I'm not sure what fly and rod to bring. As of now, I do not know the extent of my partner's injury(s) and that will effect my rod and fly choice when I meet him/her on Saturday evening.

Here are my considerations:

  • Tenkara rod - small dry fly like a midge or foam beetle
  • T.F.O. Deer Creek Switch - swing a spey style fly
  • Orvis Henry's Fork Superfine - foam hopper or nymph

I will bring a box with two of each pattern this weekend. I'll take a look at the water, consult with my partner, and we will decide together. I'll also bring my vise and some tying materials. Maybe we'll come up with something together. 

If you would like to make a donation to help support activities like this weekend's please click the link that constitutes this entire sentence.

I will try to interview everyone down there for a podcast to fill you in on all the great stuff going on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
weebly reliable statistics