Thursday, March 22, 2012

2102 DC Cherry Blossoms & Fly Fishing The Tidal Basin

Kirsi and I took our morning naps on this World Water Day, got up, and headed down to the cherry blossoms at the Tidal Basin. If you have never been to DC during this magical event, you really should get here. As the weather has been crazy warm recently, the blossoms peaked way earlier than expected. The river is way warmer than it should be, and everything is green-all of this about a month early.

Parking was a nightmare. We luckily got a spot along the river and I threw Kirsi into her backpack, grabbed my hip bag, my 8wt rod and we took off.

Loads of people about. Kids, lots of kids. Elderly, young, couples, sun dresses, foreign and domestic tourists, puppies, strollers, strollers, strollers, people in suits, people in running gear. Its great to see so many people out and about enjoying nature.

My pics don't do justice to the beauty of this spot. When the breeze blows and the petals fall, its like being in a fairy tale. If you want some of the coolest pics, go to this site: http://www.abpan.com/

 The black trunks contrast with the blossoms.
 This reminded me of 'Sunday Afternoon....' the iconic pointillism painting 


 Look at all these people! 100 years these trees have been here. Survived floods, beavers, back casts, vandals, hurricaines, and politics
 Jefferson. It was super overcast and I couldn't get the light correct. I also don't know how to use all the functions of my camera.
 Big snakehead surfacing to breathe. I ended up breaking my rod when I set the hook on what I thought was a fish and it turned out to be a snag. Mix that in with the fact that I forgot Kirsi's bottle and she was not happy, we did not spend as much time here as we wanted.



 If you could only see the petals blowing here, it was like snow.


 This woman was painting. I was able to get her picture while the petals blew.

 I proposed to THW in this area back in 2002.




 This one captures the petals in the air!

 Wow, didn't realize the person in the red was in that gap when I took this picture. That makes my day. Enlarging it, I noticed its an elderly couple, he has his hand on her back helping her along. That is even better.

 The light shines through.




 View from the car in traffic.
 Tulips are popping up in this garden.
 2nd to last shot.
 Thats it folks. Until next year.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
weebly reliable statistics