Friday, November 11, 2011

Extremely Low Tide @ Gravelly Point Today

Factor in the 30mph winds and the full moon and you get some crazy amount of water draining from the river. I drove past Roaches Run and could see the banks exposed and the mud flats dry. There were white caps from the wind blowing from the west.

I circled through the airport and pulled into Gravelly. It was too windy to wear my cowboy hat. I met my three clients and we geared up and walked down to the water. The first sign of the low tide was all of the exposed gravel and clam shells. We walked in and barely got our knees wet.  I had everyone tossing 8wt lines on 6 or 8 weight rods. To overline and add more mass to their line and thus 'cut through the wind'.

There some important things that I can get done at low tide:

  1. Show clients the structure of the bottom so if/when they return to fish they will know where to throw their flies
  2. Pick up all of the lost flies and lures from the river bottom and clean up lost monofiliment 
  3. Turn over rocks to find out what lives in this area.

Here are some of the pictures. We found loads of spinners, crankbaits, rubber worms, and lead weights. We pulled out enough mono to shock you. We found some giant clams and mussels. Under the rocks we found shrimp. I found one gigantic crayfish too.

The fish were not there. The wind was gusting at 30mph and there was no water to fish. Regardless, it was a great learning opportunity to fish with some biologists and kayakers.




 Check out the gravel.

 These are the rocks that you have to cross to get to the deeper water. I moved a bunch out of the way to make a clear entrance to the deep water.






 Took this picture just a a plane was taking off.

 I'm pretty sure this is one of the non-native crayfish species that was introduced to the Potomac.

 Look how low the water was. Lowest I've ever seen it.
Ok, time to start packing for California.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
weebly reliable statistics