Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Recent Fly Fishing Trip Pictures

There has been a reason I haven't been posting any blogs recently, her name is Kirsi
When I'm not home changing diapers, letting mom get some rest, tying flies, or answering e-mail, I'm out fishing with clients. Here are a bunch of pictures of people who had never picked up a fly rod in their life. 

 This is a bluegill next to my bluegill fly. They could be brothers, no?
 This pretty fish took the foam depot fly.
 Pictures don't always show how big a fish can be, this one was huge.
 A big client makes a big fish look small.
 Father and dad double hook up.

 Some caddis with their representative imitations.
 One of several fish caught in just a few hours. Notice the visor? That was the last of the lot to be sold.
 Look at the way a sunfish (bluegill, brim, shellcracker, sun perch, etc) can bend a 4wt.
 Wet wading the Potoamc. After today's storm of 2" an hour with lots of flooding along the Potomac Gorge, we won't be doing this for a while.
 Hellgrammite next to imitation.
 Big sunfish.
 More big sunfish.

 One of the bigger bass caught in the past few weeks.
 And a big sunfish to boot.
 A big family out for a mornings fishing. The brothers, sisters, and dad caught some fish.





  


 Two sisters out on the boat. One is pre-med and was talking about all of the skin infections she sees at Georgetown Hospital from people who have been in the Potomac.





A painted lady butterfly (nymphalidae) landed on my nose. Love my new Costa Del Mar sunglasses! Apparently the hat I purchased for $70 in Kauai is available for $20 at Cracker Barrel.


 Tiny largemouth bass.

 Learning to fly fish before being stationed in Oahu with bay-front property with sea kayaks outside. You just have to feel sorry for some people don't you!


Pulled this out of the Potomac at Riverbend. Not sure what species it is. Juvenile smallmouth, largemouth, or snakehead. ? 

Big potomac crayfish.
 I feel terrible about this pic, don't let the smile fool you. My client wanted me to show him some casting techniques and to fish a little so he could observe me. I tied on a green wooly bugger that I picked up somewhere, a fly that I would not normally use. I put it on so I would not trash one of my good flies. I had the fly swinging in the current as I talked to him and Bam. The biggest smallie I have ever seen takes my fly. It was an awesome fight on my Orvis Clearwater 905-2
 A gigantic click beetle that landed on me while out in the middle of the river.
 After falling in the river up to my neck I must have gotten some hitch hikers. I felt a tickle on my belly and lifted my shirt. I found this hellgrammite crawling around on me !
 Jacob with his first smallie. This kid is great. He came out to the TPFR.org beer tie the other night and tied up a bunch of flies.




 These ladies were the last clients of the day. They had gone out with a guide on the Snake River named 'Kevin' who apparently taught them more about tracking animals than fishing. After a quick casting lesson the ladies were throwing line out and landing fish after fish.



 Big ol' mayfly

 Parts of the Potomac this day reminded me of fishing the Amazon


 This kid doubted if there were any fish were he was casting. Then he tossed the foam depot and pulled in this gem.
 This smallie was hanging out under a tree along the bank.
 We pulled in this spinning rod. There was still a worm on the hook.
 Confirmation the smallies eat hellgrammites.
 Summer fly fishing patterns


big dude , little fish




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
weebly reliable statistics