Thursday, October 21, 2010

Recent and Not So Recent Photos | The Week In Review

Following up from the last week of fishing and travel from Gravelly Point to Detroit.
Fellow TPFR member Marek and I had planned to fish the outgoing tide at dusk on Thursday. I was prepping the drift boat when TPFR member John arrived. I offered him a spot in the boat and he joined us. Fishing was a bit slow until dark. TPFR members Frank and Stephen fished below us.

John with a schoolie and speckled bass. 

















Marek with a schoolie.













Me with a schoolie.













Me with a big crappie.















TheFrank and Stephen wading out on the hard bottom. They were slaying the schoolies left and right.













Before long I had to get home, empty the fishing gear from the car, pack it with road trip materials, and get to bed. We were driving to C'bus in the morning.

At some point we figured out that dr. jones likes to sit between the head rest and your neck in the car. Enjoy the last picture with the bent nose. Surgery in the morning. Can't wait to breathe out of my nose!


From C'bus we drove to Pontiac Michigan. I always thought that if I went to Michigan during the steelhead run I would fish with an old acquaintance, Matt Supinski. Matt owns and operates the Grey Drake Lodge . Not only did I not get a chance to fish, I was not allowed to stop at the Cabelas or Bass Pro shops we passed on the way!

We got to the hotel and stopped at Zoup and I had a bowl of chicken pot pie soup. How indulgent. It had everything inside a chicken pot pie plus a dusting cup of crust crumbs. After lunch we parted the lobby rink rats who were in town for a mighty mites hockey tourny. I gave a shout out to the kid in the Caps jersey. I donned my suit (which I purchased in 1998 and it still fits) and tied on the tie. We took off to the wedding, met Ray Ray in the lobby, enjoyed the service (while sitting near a former Booz Allen co-worker -who also recently left the office-that place has most turnover I have ever seen) and then off to the Iroquois Club for the party.

Leah, the bride, wore a pin of turkey flat and ostrich plume in her hair. I was an immediate fan and wanted to tie flies with it. THW and I sat with some old friends and new friends. The guy next to me fly fishes so the conversation for the night was set. I indulged in the Bell's Two Hearted Ale all night. It was great on tap. I threw in a glass of Dewers 12 for fun. I had some issues with the food. I was confused about the side on the plate, asked the waitress if it was polenta and she said it was grilled chicken. Oops.

The man pulled us over after the reception for not having a working brake light. We got off with a warning and got back to the hotel and went to sleep. We woke up growling bellies. I had to have some food in me. Our car was full of pickled fruits and veggies that Ray Ray made for the guests. I was not ready for that but I was ready for some Cracker Barrel.

We pulled over just after the MI/OH border. I ordered the Uncle Herschel’s Favorite (Two Eggs cooked to order with Grits, Sawmill Gravy, Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits, real Butter and the best Preserves, Jam n’ Apple Butter (on request) we could find. ~plus~ Fried Apples or Hashbrown Casserole ~and~ (choice of one) Hickory Smoked Country Ham, Grilled Pork Chop, Sugar Cured Ham, Fried Chicken Tenderloin) with apple butter and chicken fingers. The waitress asked if there were three people at the table and I said no, just two, I'm that hungry.







We made it back in time for the Sara show at 9:30 club and for me to get prepped for the Tuesday morning trip to Gravelly (outgoing tide) and the afternoon trip to the Tidal Basin. We caught shad, perch, and sunnies at Gravelly. The basin fished slow and no pictures to share. Plenty of fish busting the surface but only one took a fly. We fished the incoming tide at dusk.





Same for last night. Clients cast for two hours and only one nibble. Plenty of tourists watching from above.



Sure enough, I stayed to fish while traffic cleared and caught this fish 5 min after they departed. The fish took the junk spey pattern I have been tying.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
weebly reliable statistics