Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Gear Review | LG Ally Smart Phone

Running my own small business requires me to be plugged in 24/7. I have missed client e-mails and calls while away from the home office. I have been caught in violent storms and traffic jams. I decided to enter the world of smart phones and be connected when away from the computer.

I purchased the LG Ally from Verizon. The phone is integrated with Google (picassa, blogger, Google documents, Google maps, Google checkout, Google calendar etc.) and met my criteria:

  • e-mail
  • internet
  • doppler radar and weather
  • twitter
  • facebook
  • touch screen
  • keyboard
  • camera
  • bar-code scanner



Images thanks to Best Buy


Here are some of the official specs: 

  • Android 2.1 with Google Experience 
  • 3.2 inch touch display
  • slide-out QWERTY keyboard
  • 3.2 MP camera with autofocus and flash
  • 512 B ROM, 256 MB RAM memory
  • 4 GB microSD
  • Qualcomm MSM7627 600MHz processor
  • 3.5 mm headphone jack
  • Wi-Fi, S-GPS, aGPS
    The only draw back so far is the battery life. I have to constantly re-charge the thing. There are ways to decrease battery usage via several applications. I encountered a strange error with words similar to 'voice calls cannot be made when in HDR mode.' I think the phone is too new and the help desk had not encountered this. They were unable to assist me. I drove over to the local store at Landmark and dodged the pedestrians. Its as if these people are training for a frogger reality tv show. Who crosses 4 lanes of traffic (in each direction) with a kid under their arm? Cross walks were invented for a reason. 

    Anyway, the employees played with the phone for a while and decided a hard reset was the only solution. They managed to save my contacts but all else was lost. I was not that bummed about loosing my Pee Wee Herman soundboard, but other apps and bookmarks had to be re-entered. 

    Overall I am quite pleased with this purchase and think it will be a great asset to my consulting business. I would recommend this product to others. 


    Lets hope I don't drop the phone in the drink.
     

    2 comments:

    you can turn off the HDR by following the steps:
    Menu > Settings > Wireless and Networks > Mobile Network > Network mode > and select digital only hybrid. It resolve the problem :)

    If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (no matter why you broke up) you gotta watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Win your ex back with TEXT messages?

    Post a Comment

     
    weebly reliable statistics